This post is the first in a series highlighting local elementary schools. We reached out to Parent-Teacher Organizations and asked: “What makes your school great?” While there will be probably be some overlap in the responses from different schools – particularly those in the same district – we hope these “what we love” lists will highlight the strengths and unique character of each school. We hope to highlight all area schools. If you are interested in making sure your school is featured, please contact Liz at CarlisleKidsPA@gmail.com.
What do parents, teachers, and students love about Mooreland Elementary?
1. Drive through the southwest quadrant of town at the right time, and you’ll see many parents and children on the sidewalks, going to or coming from school. Students can walk to this neighborhood school, which is located right in Carlisle Borough. This creates a great sense of community – not to mention it helps to keep kids active!
2. There is a strong sense of community, strengthened by regular Family Fun Night activities which include bowling, skating, movie nights, book fairs, Zumbathon, dance parties, and much more! “Fun parties” was identified by students as one of the things they love about their school.
3. Mooreland is a hub for international families, English Language Learners, and students from War College families. This brings a wonderful diversity to our school!
4. Teachers describe a supportive, family-like work atmosphere where they feel accepted for who they are, supported by parents and the principal, and work as a team to help every student.
5. Students love their principal, Kim Truckenmiller, who “makes everything possible.”
6. Mooreland has engaged parents and a vibrant PTO and volunteer core, with cooperation between faculty, staff, and parents. In fact, a Parent Involvement Committee was initiated by the teachers! This collaboration makes for a positive school community.
7. Students can take advantage of a number of after school clubs, which offer educational, artistic, and physical enrichment. Examples include LEGO club, various language clubs, art, music, coding, and Zumba.
More about Mooreland
A few more things you might like to know about Mooreland…
- There are just over 300 students at the school.
- Mooreland is known for having the highest academic rating of all area elementary schools – a 94.4 from the Pennsylvania Department of Education. This is based on things like PSSA scores and indicators of academic growth, as well as the high rate of student promotion (100% advanced to the next grade in 2013/14) and attendance (95%).
- The school building was built in the late 1950s and underwent a major renovation in 2005-2006.
- The school mascot is the greyhound and the school color is royal blue.